Sunday, July 25, 2010

food.

it's no secret that i love food. so far olivia's been really good about eating. hasn't refused much. however, she wont eat plain veggies, for the most part. sometimes she will and sometimes she wont. sometimes she'll eat them if i feed them to her, sometimes she wont. i can't figure it out. so, my friends with kids her age and i have been brainstorming ways to get more veggies in their diets. so far we've (well, they, and shared with me) come up with some good ways. and it's working! so, if i have to "hide" them for the time being then i will. as long as she doesn't end up eating a frozen meal every night like me!

i did make a list of "easy" dishes that i like and can also introduce to olivia and went grocery shopping today. i want to start cooking but it's so hard doing it alone after work. olivia just wants to play and since i haven't seen her all day i'd also rather play with her. and she's still going to bed really early so actually cooking a meal, feeding her, bath and then bed; that leaves no "quality" time. if anyone has any suggestions please let me know!!

olivia had 2 food firsts this weekend.
first brownie
this could have been her first chocolate; i'm not sure. someone's probably snuck it to her when i wasn't looking!
first mexican food at my favorite place - the dirty verde!

this was another item that she wasn't thrilled to self-feed. she ate a few bites and then acted like she was done. i knew she hadn't eaten enough so i started feeding her with a fork. she ate a lot more that way. so, maybe it's a texture issue. but i find it hard to believe that cheese enchiladas and mexcian rice feel the same way as veggies!

5 comments:

  1. We have a picky eater champ, but she L-O-V-E-S green beans from Captains D's. I mean, who wouldn't love veggies cooked in bacon fat but I figure it won't hurt. Their mac and cheese is the bomb as well. Both she might eat by herself in a high chair:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never been to the Dirty Verde, but Olivia was probably the cutest one in the place!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Garrett's the same way, sometimes he'll eat his veggies and other times he just refuses. I just hide them in his food or pretend I'm eating it since he always wants to eat whatever I'm eating!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree, after working all day, I don't want to cook. I want to play with Claudia! Here was my solution... the slow cooker! We get all the ingredients ready the night before (after she goes down) and in the morning we throw it in the pot. Then when we get home, it's all ready. There's always left overs too. We steam fresh veggies to go with the slow cooker food, but that takes 5 minutes in those microwave steamer bags. Easy. And clean up is easy. Just put the ceramic pot insert in the dishwasher. The best thing about the slow cooker food is that it is easy for Claudia to chew because it is so tender. Sorry for the long post, but this has made a world of difference for us. I highly recommend it. Let me know if you need any slower cooker cook book recommendations. I have a few favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been having a hard time feeding Emory as well, but she is the complete opposite. All she wants to eat is fresh fruits and veggies. It is really hard to keep fresh goodies in the house. I never thought I would be complaining that my daughter eats too healthy. Go figure!

    ReplyDelete